"An empty shell looking for home, she kicked off her shoes and ran-- through the desert, free and wild, like the winds."

Sunday, September 19, 2010

bathrooms

Ever wondered why bathrooms are so comforting? I do. Whenever I get upset, I run to the bathroom and find myself on its cold floor, my head against the toilet or tub. I sink into the room, letting the bare walls rise above me, creating a protective barrier from myself and the outside world.
I don't understand why, but when I am huddled into the corner bleeding my eyes out, I feel most comfortable, most peaceful. In this room everything seems to sort itself out, all things fall into place.
Is it because I can lock the door and stay in this room for hours, if need be, and it will be socially acceptable for anyone to not ask why? Is it because it is the single room in the house which people will not find it in themselves to ask why we are going in there?
I don't know, but what I do know is, when I stand up, wash my face, and clean up my tears and unlock the door- I feel like I've left whatever pain I've had to face behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment